the long termnoun
Definition of the long term
: a long period of time after the beginning of something She is investing for the long term. I think it's the better choice over the long term. an investment that should do well in the long term These changes may improve profits now, but they are going to cost us money in the long term.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game