Definition of temple mound
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a mound forming the foundation of a temple (as in Mayan and Aztec architecture) — compare teocalli
2 : a truncated American Indian mound believed to have been the site of an altar or rude temple
Definition of Temple Mound (Entry 2 of 2)
: of or belonging to a culture of the southern and southeastern U.S. about 1300–1700 characterized by pyramidal mounds built as platforms for temples and by village-states, shell-tempered polychrome pottery, and intensive hoe agriculture
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game