taxpaying

adjective
tax·​pay·​ing | \ ˈtaks-ˌpā-iŋ How to pronounce taxpaying (audio) \

Definition of taxpaying

: of, relating to, or subject to the paying of a tax

Examples of taxpaying in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web By comparison, the U.S. is giving most taxpaying Americans $1,200. Eamon Barrett, Fortune, "China’s next coronavirus crisis: What happens after a country closes its economy," 20 Apr. 2020 Harvard’s Jason Furman, who was a chair of the Council of Economic Advisers during the Obama Administration, has proposed making a one-time payment of a thousand dollars to every taxpaying U.S. resident and five hundred dollars to each child. John Cassidy, The New Yorker, "What Would a Proper Coronavirus Stimulus Plan Look Like?," 14 Mar. 2020 California famously adopts tax increases that affect 49% or less of the taxpaying population while benefiting the remaining 51%. WSJ, "Democratic Hopefuls and the Taxes to Come," 9 Feb. 2020 The result would split the bill among many more taxpaying entities, dropping prices for residents of 1-to-4 unit buildings. Frederick Melo, Twin Cities, "St. Paul’s trash contract has an ‘acts of God’ clause. Would a ballot defeat count?," 5 Oct. 2019 Couple this with the inefficiency of the courts causing trials to be frequently delayed and to go on for years, the legal system has become a tremendous burden to Americans, especially the taxpaying middle class. WSJ, "The Excess of Lawyers Is a Burden on Society," 1 Oct. 2017 Aaron Williams, director of Field Marketing and Analyst Relations at Topcoder in Zionsville Williams sees the issue as a taxpaying Hoosier and member of the tech industry, rather than a taxpaying business owner. Kaitlin L Lange, Indianapolis Star, "3 Indiana businessmen to help Trump make his case for tax reform package," 26 Sep. 2017 Can someone who pays little or no tax, if that proves to be the case, relate to the average taxpaying American worker? James B. Stewart, New York Times, "Keep the Tax Returns, Trump; Just Give Us a Few Figures," 29 Sep. 2016

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'taxpaying.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of taxpaying

1832, in the meaning defined above

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about taxpaying

Time Traveler for taxpaying

Time Traveler

The first known use of taxpaying was in 1832

See more words from the same year

Statistics for taxpaying

Cite this Entry

“Taxpaying.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/taxpaying. Accessed 25 Nov. 2020.

Comments on taxpaying

What made you want to look up taxpaying? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

A Thanksgiving Word Quiz

  • a traditional thanksgiving dinner
  • November comes from a word for which of the following numbers?
Spell It

Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words?

TAKE THE QUIZ
Citation

Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!