take the liberty ofidiom
Definition of take the liberty of
: to do something without asking for permission to do it —+ -ing form of a verb I took the liberty of making a reservation for us.I took the liberty of telling them you weren't interested.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?