take the edge offidiom
Definition of take the edge off
: to make (something) weaker or less severe a medication that takes the edge off the pain A glass of milk will take the edge off your hunger/appetite.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game