take (something) lying downidiom
Definition of take (something) lying down
: to accept (something bad, such as an insult or unfair treatment) without trying to fight against it He vowed that he would not take the court's decision lying down.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game