take (something) into one's (own) handsidiom
Definition of take (something) into one's (own) hands
: to take control of something : seek to do something that is the responsibility of others The judge had no sympathy for people who insisted on taking the law into their own hands. After months of waiting for something to happen, he decided to take matters into his own hands.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game