take (something) lying downidiom
Definition of take (something) lying down
: to accept (something bad, such as an insult or unfair treatment) without trying to fight against it He vowed that he would not take the court's decision lying down.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?