take (someone) prisoneridiom
Definition of take (someone) prisoner
: to capture and make (someone) one's prisoner They took him prisoner. The pilot was shot down and taken prisoner.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game