take (someone or something) seriouslyidiom
Definition of take (someone or something) seriously
: to treat (someone or something) as being very important and deserving attention or respect He takes his religious faith seriously. She's well qualified for the job, so she hopes the company will take her seriously. His parents threatened to punish him, but he didn't take them seriously, since he had not been punished before. Most politicians take themselves too seriously.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game