take (someone or something) by surpriseidiom
Definition of take (someone or something) by surprise
1 : to happen to (someone or something) unexpectedly : to surprise (someone or something) Her reaction took me by surprise. The organization was taken completely by surprise by the announcement.
2 : to attack, capture, or approach (someone or something) without warning The troops gained an upper hand in the battle by taking their foes by surprise.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game