sweat it outidiom
Definition of sweat it out
1 US : to work hard at (something) She was sweating it out on the treadmill.
2 : to feel worried or nervous about something We'll let them sweat it out for a while longer before we give them the test results.
3 : to wait nervously until the end of something It was a close game, and the fans were really sweating it out at the end.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game