suspend (one's) disbeliefidiom (1)
Definition of suspend (one's) disbelief
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe that something is true even though it seems impossible The plot is ridiculous, but if you can suspend (your) disbelief, it's an enjoyable movie.
suspend one's disbeliefidiom (2)
Definition of suspend one's disbelief (Entry 2 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe things that cannot be true If you want to enjoy this story, you have to suspend your disbelief.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game