Definition of suspending agent
: a substance (such as carrageenan, xanthan gum, or cellulose ether) that is added to fluids to promote particle suspension or dispersion and reduce sedimentation All these drinks can contain preservatives, and drinks other than juices can contain additives to colour, flavour and sweeten. They may also have … a suspending agent to prevent what fruit there is from falling sadly to the bottom of the bottle.— Derek Cooper, The Beverage Report, 1970
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game