Definition of superstate
1 : an extremely powerful nation or governing body having power over subordinate states … Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, … starts keeping a forbidden diary in response to draconian rule in the fictional superstate of Oceania.— Steve Barnes The destiny of the European Union looms large in Britain's debate about its future in the organisation. Is the EU developing into a federal superstate along the lines of the United States?— Paul Gillespie
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game