Definition of supergovernment
: a governing body that has power over other governments Most of the plans for federation have certain fundamentals in common, with variations in detail. They all provide for a supergovernment over the member nations to be conducted by representatives of the member states.— Wendell L. Willkie … a stunning 52 per cent of Britons voted to leave the European Union, that over-mighty supergovernment of 28 countries.— Andrew Bolt One solution to the metropolitan problem that is being talked about a lot is the creation of a supergovernment; it would absorb all the duties and functions of the local governments in the metropolitan area, and would reign as a single unit over the new supercity.— Seymour Freedgood
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?