: a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary
- But last year, when people started posting hits from superstars like Madonna and Puff Daddy on the Web, where anyone could download them for free, the record companies went ballistic.
- —N'Gai Croal et al.
- The notion that superstars are protected by NBA refs is neither a new nor a particularly farfetched one.
- —Jack McCallum
: one that is very prominent or is a prime attraction
- From Wolfgang Puck to Alice Waters, America's leading chefs have become superstars.
- —Marian Burros
- With that the judge sentenced the one time superstar investor to three years in prison for his role in the largest insider-trading scandal in history.
- —Time Magazine
- Chardonnay is the superstar among white-wine grapes …
- —Barbara Ensrud