sul pon·ti·cel·lo | \ ˌsülˌpäntəˈche(ˌ)lō\
Definition of sul ponticello
: with the bow kept near the bridge so as to bring out the higher harmonics and thereby produce a nasal tone —used as a direction in music for a stringed instrument
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game