variants: or sub-phase
plural subphases or sub-phases
Definition of subphase
: a phase that is a part of a longer phase The task-centered model of helping is usually broken into three phases…. Each phase has distinct subphases or tasks to be accomplished.— Carol L. Langer and Cynthia Lietz The ceramic sequence now consists of five phases, spanning the period AD 900-1650 …. All but the last of these phases have been further subdivided into early and late subphases, each about 75-100 years long.— Vernon J. Knight and Vincas P. Steponaitis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game