string togetherphrasal verb
strung together; stringing together; strings together
Definition of string together
: to combine (different things) into something that is complete, useful, etc. See if you can string the theories together into something that makes sense. The filmmaker strung together interviews with a number of experts on the subject. : to create (something) by putting different things together She was finding it hard to string together a coherent argument.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game