stere·ome | \ ˈsterēˌōm, ˈstir-\
variants: or stereom \ -ēˌäm \
Definition of stereome
: mechanical or strengthening tissue:
a : rigid cellular tissue (such as sclerenchyma and collenchyma) of a plant — compare mestome
b : exoskeletal material of an invertebrate
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?