step up to the plateidiom
Definition of step up to the plate
: to move into position next to home plate in order to bat —often used figuratively in U.S. English He finally stepped up to the plate and asked her to marry him.If you want this promotion, you're going to have to step up to the plate and improve your work performance.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game