Definition of stemma
1 : a simple eye present in some insects
2 : a scroll (as among the ancient Romans) containing a genealogical list
3 : a tree showing the relationships of the manuscripts of a literary work
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game