stay onphrasal verb
stayed on; staying on; stays on
Definition of stay on
1 : to continue to work at a job She thought about retiring, but she finally decided to stay on for a few more years. After she graduated, she stayed on at the college, working in the alumnae office.
2 : to continue taking (a medication, drug, etc.) I have to stay on the antibiotics for a full two weeks.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game