stamp outphrasal verb
stamped out; stamping out; stamps out
Definition of stamp out
1 : to stop or destroy (something bad) stamp out smallpox/corruption
2 : to stop (something) from burning by stepping on it forcefully with the feet stamp out a fire stamp a cigarette out
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game