spruce upphrasal verb
spruced up; sprucing up; spruces up
Definition of spruce up
: to make (someone or something) look cleaner, neater, or more attractive We spruced up the room with a fresh coat of paint. I need to spruce myself up a bit before we go out to dinner.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game