smarten upphrasal verb
smartened up; smartening up; smartens up
Definition of smarten up
1 US : to become more intelligent or aware : to become smarter He'd better smarten up or he'll get fired.
2 US : to make (someone or something) smarter or more aware Someone needs to smarten him up before he gets in trouble.
3 : to make (someone or something) neat and attractive They smartened themselves up for the party. They smartened up the room for the party.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game