short-sheeted; short-sheeting; short-sheets
Definition of short-sheet
1 : to arrange usually as a playful trick the top sheet on a bed in a way that leaves no space for the feet of a person getting into the bed Somebody short-sheeted my bed at summer camp.
2 : to give (someone) less than what is expected or deserved Our school district was short-sheeted by the state government.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game