serve outphrasal verb
served out; serving out; serves out
Definition of serve out
: to complete (a term in office, a prison sentence, etc.) He was unable to serve out his five-year term as chairperson. She was allowed to serve out her sentence in a prison close to home.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game