Examples of sensual in a Sentence
- A sharp observer with a pleasing eye for sensual detail, Jaffrey weaves a richly textured story in which she effortlessly mingles quotidian dramas with historic events including the partition of India. —Michelle Green, People, 6 Nov. 2006
- And Rousseau, in his Confessions, wrote of the sensual pleasure he found in simple meals of peasant cheeses and breads. —Andrea Lee, Gourmet, May 2004
Certain fragrances apparently heighten sensual experiences.
the sensual feel of a velvet shirt against the skin
Recent Examples of sensual from the Web
Some of them are even fantastic, sensual, and passionate.
Expect Santa’s largesse to include a sweet and sensual breakthrough.
This sensual, raw personal book examines love and closeness as forces that aren’t just exhilarating, but gross, maddening, and destructive.
Thus alerted, the curious visitor soon becomes conscious that Herzog’s world — especially as revealed by the abundance of signs — is simultaneously covetous and quasi religious, sensual and unworldly.
Flashing Archie’s abs or digging into Betty’s sensual side aren’t inherently bad ideas, but there needs to be a balance of the real-world issues to which viewers can relate, beyond the fantastical and downright inappropriate.
Dim lights and scene cuts to dancers grooving to the Caribbean-leaning song makes for a sensual and sultry combination.
This Venusian sign is literally the most sensual of the zodiac, as its libido is closely connected to sound, sight, taste, smell, and touch.
Everything about her is dark and sensual —voluptuous black waves in her hair, pillowy red lips, even her amazing eyebrows have killer curves.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'sensual.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of sensual
First Known Use: 15th centurySee Words from the same year
Synonymscarnal, fleshly, luscious, lush, sensuous, voluptuous
Related Wordsbodily, corporeal; agreeable, delectable, delicious, delightful, dreamy, gratifying, palatable, pleasant, pleasing, pleasurable, scrumptious; epicurean, luxurious, self-indulgent
Near Antonymsharsh, painful, uncomfortable; disgusting, foul, hideous, icky
Synonym Discussion of sensual
- a slave to carnal desires
- a saint who had experienced fleshly temptations
- fleshpots providing sensual delights
- led a mindless animal existence
- the sensuous delights of great music
- a life devoted to sensual pleasures
- a luxurious hotel
- a voluptuous feast
SENSUAL Defined for English Language Learners
SENSUAL Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up sensual? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).