Definition of self-understanding
: understanding of oneself: such as
a : knowledge or understanding of one's own capabilities, character, feelings, or motivations : self-knowledge human self-understanding gaining a greater sense of self-understanding … while I can't choose what I feel, I do have sway over how I understand my feelings and that self-understanding can modify and sculpt those feelings …— Gordon Marino
b : one's conception of oneself especially as part of a group Central to our national self-understanding is the idea that hard work pays off. — Las Vegas Sun … the attempt to put religion into a box fails to give adequate regard to the self-understanding of those religious groups …— Eduardo M. Penalver … the studies … show that adoptive parents play an important role in supporting their children's ethnic and cultural self-understanding.— Anndee Hochman … people should be free to reach their own self-understandings when it comes their status as victims (or non-victims).— Brian D. Earp
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?