Definition of self-renunciation
: the renouncing of one's own wishes, desires, or ambitions But what is surely foreign to most of us is the life of prayer, self-renunciation, and single-minded spiritual pursuit.— Joel J. Miller Our tenderness and self-renunciation seem strong when our egoism has had its day …— George Eliot
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game