Definition of self-renunciation
: the renouncing of one's own wishes, desires, or ambitions But what is surely foreign to most of us is the life of prayer, self-renunciation, and single-minded spiritual pursuit.— Joel J. Miller Our tenderness and self-renunciation seem strong when our egoism has had its day …— George Eliot
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game