self-generated; self-generating; self-generates
Definition of self-generate
: to generate (something, such as electricity or funds) by or for oneself … allowing the school the capability to self-generate power until the power grid is restored.— Bill Hoban Gregory Smith, associate dean for business and financial affairs for the Law Center, said the tuition increase is something the Law Center applied for through LSU out of a need to self-generate revenue after state appropriations were cut by about 25 percent. — The Reveille (Louisiana State University) Just raising rates for those who cannot self-generate, while those who can do so leave the grid, is not acceptable to us, as a matter of community well-being and fairness.— Peter Rosegg
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game