Definition of second-degree
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 US, of a crime : of a level of seriousness that is less than first-degree : deserving punishment but not the most severe punishment second-degree assault/murder
2 : causing a moderate level of injury He received/suffered second-degree burns. a second-degree concussion
Definition of second degree (Entry 2 of 2)
: the level of a crime that is less than first degree and deserves less severe punishment He was charged with assault in the second degree.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game