Definition of sea oat
1 : a tall grass (Uniola paniculata) that has panicles resembling those of the oat, grows on the coast of the southern U.S., and is useful as a sand binder —usually used in plural
2 sea oats plural : a cluster of yellowish vase-shaped egg cases of a whelk of the genus Thais : sea corn
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game