sco·ri·fi·ca·tion | \ ˌskōrəfə̇ˈkāshən, ˌskȯr-\
Definition of scorification
: the act, process, or result of scorifying specifically : a process in assaying that involves the use of a scorifier and consists either of an oxidizing fusion of the ore or other product with lead and borax to produce a slag and leave the gold and silver in a lead button or of such a fusion of the lead button obtained either as above or by fusion in a crucible to reduce its size or purify it for cupellation
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game