scoped out; scoping out; scopes out
Definition of scope out
: to look at (someone or something) especially in order to get information They scoped out the area before setting up the tent. Players were scoping out the competition. He wants to scope out all of the possibilities before deciding what to do.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game