scar·us | \ ˈska(a)rəs\
Definition of scarus
1 plural -es : a parrot fish (Sparisoma cretense) of the Mediterranean of excellent table quality and highly esteemed by the ancient Romans
2 capitalized [ New Latin, from Latin, parrot fish ] : the type genus of Scaridae comprising fishes with the teeth completely consolidated so that the jaws have the appearance of a bird's beak — compare parrot fish
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game