Definition of say for
—used with words such as something, little, a lot, etc., to show that someone or something does or does not deserve to be praised, admired, etc. It says a lot for her that she stayed in the game even though she was injured.The students' low test scores don't say much for the education they're receiving.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game