save someone's lifeidiom
Definition of save someone's life
1 : to stop (someone) from dying or being killed : to rescue (someone) who is in terrible danger She thanked the firefighters who saved her life.
2 informal : to help (someone) in an important way —often used to thank someone for his or her helpThanks for covering for me. You really saved my life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Piano': Its Name Is Only Half the Story
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game