save someone's lifeidiom
Definition of save someone's life
1 : to stop (someone) from dying or being killed : to rescue (someone) who is in terrible danger She thanked the firefighters who saved her life.
2 informal : to help (someone) in an important way —often used to thank someone for his or her help Thanks for covering for me. You really saved my life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game