Definition of round turn
1 : one turn of a rope round a timber or belaying pin or around a bollard on a pier to stop a ship suddenly
2 : a foul hawse resulting from a 720-degree turn made by a ship riding at two anchors — compare elbow in hawse
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?