ripped apart; ripping apart; rips apart
Definition of rip apart
1 : to completely destroy (something) by tearing it into pieces The child ripped the toy apart. Strong winds had ripped apart many of the little beach bungalows. —often used figuratively a tragedy/scandal that almost ripped the family apart
2 : to criticize (someone or something) in a very harsh or angry way especially by describing weaknesses, flaws, etc. Critics ripped the author's latest novel apart. an article that rips apart the mayor's plan
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game