revert

verb

re·​vert ri-ˈvərt How to pronounce revert (audio)
reverted; reverting; reverts

intransitive verb

1
: to come or go back (as to a former condition, period, or subject)
2
: to return to the proprietor or his or her heirs at the end of a reversion
3
: to return to an ancestral type
reverter noun
revertible adjective

Example Sentences

after the national emergency had passed, the political parties abandoned their shotgun unity and reverted to their partisan squabbling
Recent Examples on the Web The quarterfinal winners will advance to the semifinals and championship, which will revert back to one-game playoffs. Andrew Mahoney, BostonGlobe.com, 10 Nov. 2022 The question now is whether sick leave will become more widespread in a post-pandemic era, or largely revert back to pre-pandemic norms. Emily Barone, Time, 28 Sep. 2022 But Wahls hasn’t given up hope that the Iowa Democrats can revert back to the base of yore. Ben Jacobs, The New Republic, 28 June 2022 With fan behavior not expected to revert to more civility in the immediate future, Azevedo is trying to steel his charges. Michael Silverman, BostonGlobe.com, 20 Oct. 2022 According to the suit, an executive might typically get 85 percent of the value of the tax asset, and the remaining 15 percent would revert to the company and its shareholders. Gregory S. Schneider, Washington Post, 11 Aug. 2022 In fact, the North American market is expected to revert to its 2019 status of profitability. Alexander Onukwue, Quartz, 20 June 2022 Investors refused to believe that a new monetary regime had arrived with Volcker, betting that policy would revert back to past behavior. Andrew Stuttaford, National Review, 16 Jan. 2022 Gusts were strongest Monday evening but slowed by Wednesday and, by Thursday, are expected to revert to their normal pattern of blowing in from the Pacific Ocean. oregonlive, 10 Sep. 2020 See More

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'revert.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

Word History

Etymology

Middle English, from Anglo-French revertir, from Latin revertere, transitive verb, "to turn back" & reverti, intransitive verb, "to return, come back," from re- + vertere, verti "to turn" — more at worth

First Known Use

15th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Time Traveler
The first known use of revert was in the 15th century

Dictionary Entries Near revert

Cite this Entry

“Revert.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revert. Accessed 30 Nov. 2022.

Kids Definition

revert

verb

re·​vert ri-ˈvərt How to pronounce revert (audio)
1
: to come or go back
reverted to the customs of their ancestors
2
: to experience reversion

Medical Definition

revert

intransitive verb

re·​vert ri-ˈvərt How to pronounce revert (audio)
: to undergo reversion
revertible adjective

Legal Definition

revert

intransitive verb

re·​vert ri-ˈvərt How to pronounce revert (audio)
1
: to come or go back (as to a former status or state)
if the donee of a general power fails to exercise it…the appointive assets revert to the donor's estate W. M. McGovern, Jr. et al.
2
: to return to the grantor or his or her heirs as a reversion
revertible adjective

More from Merriam-Webster on revert

Last Updated: - Updated example sentences
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!


Odd Habits and Quirks

  • image1926873504
  • Which of the following best describes an easily irritated person?
How Strong Is Your Vocabulary?

Test your vocabulary with our 10-question quiz!

TAKE THE QUIZ
Universal Daily Crossword

A daily challenge for crossword fanatics.

TAKE THE QUIZ