revert tophrasal verb
reverted to; reverting to; reverts to
Definition of revert to
1 : to go back or return to (an earlier state, condition, situation, etc.) She has reverted (back) to her old habits. My blood pressure has reverted to normal. After playing badly in the last two games, he seems to have reverted to (is previous) form.
2 law, of property : to be given to (a former owner or a former owner's heir) The estate reverted to a distant cousin.
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game