Definition of represent
- a book which represents the character of early America
- the flag represents our country
- a movie hero who represents the ideals of the culture
- athletes represented by top lawyers and agents
- represents himself as a friend
He represented his company at the meeting.
She hired an agent to represent her in the contract negotiations.
Senator Smith represents the state of Connecticut.
The company is represented by a local law firm.
She represented the United States in figure skating at the Olympics.
The court's decision represents a victory for small businesses.
The new prices represent a substantial increase over last year's prices.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'represent.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use: 14th centurySee Words from the same year
What made you want to look up represent? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Star Wars Words Quiz