reinfection

noun
re·​in·​fec·​tion | \ ˌrē-in-ˈfek-shən How to pronounce reinfection (audio) \

Definition of reinfection

: infection following recovery from or superimposed on infection of the same type

Keep scrolling for more

Other Words from reinfection

reinfect \ ˌrē-​in-​ˈfekt How to pronounce reinfection (audio) \ transitive verb

Examples of reinfection in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web People who have survived COVID-19 should still get vaccinated, because the shots provide better protection against reinfection than natural immunity, officials say. Los Angeles Times, 5 May 2021 Experts estimate that more than 100 million people in the country have recovered from an infection — the vast majority of whom remain protected against reinfection for now. Andrew Joseph, STAT, 24 Apr. 2021 Young people not protected by prior infection, study suggests Antibodies produced by a COVID-19 infection do not completely protect young people against reinfection, according to a longitudinal study of more than 3,000 healthy U.S. Marines. Julie Washington, cleveland, 19 Apr. 2021 The trial, run by researchers at the Oxford University, seeks to investigate how the immune system reacts to exposure to the virus for the second time and understand what immune responses protect against reinfection, Reuters reported. Siladitya Ray, Forbes, 19 Apr. 2021 The study suggested that about 86% of those infected had developed effective antibodies, but the other 14% hadn’t, leaving them open to possible reinfection. Thuc Nhi Nguyen Staff Writer, Los Angeles Times, 29 Apr. 2021 Viruses mutate all the time, but health experts have been afraid that dangerous variants could emerge in countries with large populations of immunocompromised people—such as those with HIV—who are especially vulnerable to reinfection by a variant. WSJ, 25 Apr. 2021 Fauci explained that masks can help protect against coronavirus variants that are spreading rapidly in the U.S. and could potentially lead to reinfection for people who already had the virus. Jason Silverstein, CBS News, 20 Mar. 2021 While most people are unlikely to get the disease again for at least six months, the elderly are more prone to reinfection, according to the results published Wednesday in the Lancet. Anne Pollak, Fortune, 18 Mar. 2021

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'reinfection.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of reinfection

1661, in the meaning defined above

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More About reinfection

Time Traveler for reinfection

Time Traveler

The first known use of reinfection was in 1661

See more words from the same year

Statistics for reinfection

Last Updated

17 Jun 2021

Cite this Entry

“Reinfection.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reinfection. Accessed 23 Jun. 2021.

Style: MLA
MLACheck Mark Icon ChicagoCheck Mark Icon APACheck Mark Icon Merriam-WebsterCheck Mark Icon

Keep scrolling for more

More Definitions for reinfection

reinfection

noun
re·​in·​fec·​tion | \ ˌrē-in-ˈfek-shən How to pronounce reinfection (audio) \

Medical Definition of reinfection

: infection following recovery from or superimposed on a previous infection of the same type rescreening aimed at detecting reinfection following treatment— Diana Mahoney

Other Words from reinfection

reinfect \ -​ˈfekt How to pronounce reinfection (audio) \ transitive verb

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

Return of Name that Color!

  • a light greenish blue color
  • Name that color:
Name That Thing

Test your visual vocabulary with our 10-question challenge!

TAKE THE QUIZ
Typeshift

Anagram puzzles meet word search.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!