: to gain (something) anew : to get (something) again : recover
- She regained her health/strength.
- I regained my footing/balance.
- struggling to regain his composure
- pulled ahead to regain the lead
- Some of them regained the weight they had lost.
- … was still alive and slowly regaining consciousness.
- —Walter Isaacson
- … managed to regain control of the airplane and execute a successful landing …
- —Peter Katz
: to get back to (something) : to reach (something) again
- After a prolonged struggle to regain the ridge, during which the only assistance my partners could offer was a tight rope, I crawled back along the path I had so recently chiseled …
- —Jeff Lowe
- … one of them was unhorsed and then, when out of view, regained his saddle.
- —Daniel J. Boorstin