variants: or red-figured \ ˈ⸗¦⸗⸗ \
Definition of red-figure
: of, relating to, or constituting a style of ceramic painting developed in Athens at the end of the 6th century b.c. in which the outer surfaces of the ware are covered in black except for the decorative figures and other elements which show as exposed areas of the red body clay and which are drawn chiefly from mythology in a style distinguished by convincing representation and graceful line red-figure vase red-figure ware — compare black-figure, polychrome
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?