Definition of redfin
: any of various fishes with more or less red fins: such as
a : the common shiner (Notropis cornutus) the male of which has bright red fins in the breeding season
b or less commonly redfin shiner : a similar and closely related fish (N. umbratilis) especially abundant in sluggish prairie streams of central North America
c : redhorse
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game